Grey’s Anatomy is the medical drama of our generation, before that we had ER, Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, St. Elsewhere, MASH and the ever ongoing General Hospital. However none of these entertainment relics of television programs past have provided characters as insightful about life as Grey’s Anatomy’s Meredith Grey and her lovable group of emotionally poignant pals. Dr. Meredith Grey’s character is relatable enough in that in her usual self-proclaimed “dark and twisty” persona, she occasionally echoes sentiments filled with some effervescent hopefulness. Along with messages that are peppered with optimism, there are some pretty powerful nuggets of advice and motivation.
1. The early bird catches the worm. A stitch in time saves nine. He who hesitates is lost. We can’t pretend we haven’t been told. We’ve all heard the proverbs, heard the philosophers, heard our grandparents warning us about wasted time, heard the damn poets urging us to seize the day.
Still, sometimes, we have to see for ourselves. We have to make our own mistakes. We have to learn our own lessons. We have to sweep today’s possibility under tomorrow’s rug, until we can’t anymore, until we finally understand for ourselves, what Benjamin Franklin meant:
That knowing, is better than wondering. That waking, is better than sleeping. And that even the biggest failure, even the worst, most intractable mistake, beats the hell out of never trying.
2. Fresh starts. Thanks to the calendar, they happen every year. Just set your watch to January. Our reward for surviving the holiday season, is a new year. Bringing on the great tradition of New Year’s resolutions. Put your past behind you, and start over. It’s hard to resist the chance at a new beginning. A chance to put the problems of last year to bed.
Who gets to determine when the old ends, and the new begins? It’s not a day on a calendar, not a birthday, not a new year. It’s an event. Big or small. Something that changes us. Ideally, it gives us hope.
A new way of living and looking at the world. Letting go of old habits, old memories. What’s important is that we never stop believing we can have a new beginning.
But it’s also important to remember that amid all the crap are a few things really worth holding on to.
3. At some point, you have to make a decision. Boundaries don’t keep other people out, they fence you in. Life is messy. That’s how we’re made. So you can waste your life drawing lines… or you can live your life crossing them.
But there are some lines… that are way too dangerous to cross. Here’s what I know: If you’re willing to take the chance, the view from the other side… is spectacular.
4. Gratitude. Appreciation. Giving thanks. No matter what words you use, it all means the same thing. Happy. We’re supposed to be happy. Grateful for friends, family, happy to just be alive… whether we like it or not.
Maybe we’re not supposed to be happy. Maybe gratitude… has nothing to do with joy. Maybe being grateful means recognizing what you have for what it is. Appreciating small victories. Admiring the struggle it takes simply to be human.
Maybe we’re thankful for the familiar things we know. And maybe we’re thankful for the things we’ll never know.
At the end of the day, the fact that we have the courage to still be standing… is reason enough to celebrate.
5. Life is not a spectator sport. Win, lose or draw, the game is in progress, whether we want it to be, or not. So, go ahead, argue with the refs, change the rules… cheat a little, take a break… and tend to your wounds. But play. Play. Play hard. Play fast. Play loose and free. Play as if there’s no tomorrow.
Okay, so it’s not whether you win or lose… it’s how you play the game. Right?
6. We all think we’re going to be great. And we feel a little bit robbed when our expectations aren’t met. But, sometimes, our expectations sell us short. Sometimes, the expected simply pales in comparison to the unexpected.
You gotta wonder why we cling to our expectations. Because the expected is just what keeps us steady… standing… still. The expected is just the beginning.
The unexpected… is what changes our lives.
CLICK TO THE NEXT PAGE…
"Grey's Anatomy" is one of the famous shows created by Shonda Rhimes. It follows doctors from their intern year to their residencies until they are surgeons in their own right. Many times, the quotes from this show have hit the nail on the head and I am here to highlight we all need to hear.
1. "It turns out sometimes you have to do the wrong thing. Sometimes you have to make a big mistake to figure out how to make things right. Mistakes are painful, but they're the only way to find out who we really are." -Denny Duquette, Season 3 Episode 4.
This quote is important to every person that feels like one mistake can end them. It's okay to make mistakes, it's human. The important thing is to learn from them, don't let them define you. Grow from them. A mistake of hanging with the wrong crowd can lead you to find the right crowd. I think many college students need to hear this quote when stressing over a class or an exam. Mistakes can make you stronger and can lead you to find the right path.
2. "Have some fire. Be unstoppable. Be a force of nature. Be better than anyone here, and don't give a damn what anyone thinks." -Cristina Yang, Season 4 Episode 15.
This is one of my personal favorite quotes from "Grey's Anatomy". Cristina Yang is a character to be admired and she often has the best things to say. This quote applies to everyone. Often people tell us to keep our heads down and just go with the flow but we need to do the opposite. We need be confident and disregard people's doubts about our choices. We need to be a storm and leave them awed in our wake.
3. "If you love someone, you tell them. Even if you're scared that it's not the right thing. Even if you're scared that it'll cause problems. Even if you're scared that it will burn your life to the ground, you say it, and you say it loud and you go from there." -Mark Sloan Season 9 Episode 2.
This quote emphasizes something important, if you love someone, say it. Often people don't tell each other they love each other enough. This world has enough hate and indifference in it, love each other. Say it, tell it to you the person you love. Sometimes it will become too late for you to say it and you will regret it for the rest of your life.
4. "Don't let what he wants eclipse what you need. He's very dreamy, but he's not the sun. You are." -Cristina Yang Season 10 Episode 24.
I told you Cristina Yang had the best to say right? I feel the need to tell this to some people. Yes you should consider your significant others opinions and feelings when the situation calls for it but their beliefs and opinions should not overshadow yours. You need to do what it best for you, if they can't support that then they are not the person you need in your life.
5. "You didn't love her! You just didn't want to be alone. Or maybe, maybe she was good for your ego. Or, or maybe she made you feel better about your miserable life, but you didn't love her, because you don't destroy the person that you love!" -Callie Torres Season 4 Episode 4.
Some people need to hear this quote. Some people excuse the actions of the people they are with "They love me" or something similar. If someone makes you feel inferior or insignificant, they do not love you. You need to cut them out of your life immediately. Learn the difference being loving someone and loving not being alone.
6. "The human life is made up of choices. Yes or no. In or out. Up or down. And then there are the choices that matter. Love or hate. To be a hero or to be a coward. To fight or to give in. To live. Or die. Live or die. That's the important choice. And it's not always in our hands." -Derek Shepherd Season 6 Episode 24.
This is another quote that needs to be heard. Sometimes our life is out of our hands. Sometimes fate takes us on its own course. But sometimes you can alter it, you can fight to live the life you want for yourself.
7. "I think it is important to take the time to tell the people you love how much you love them while they can still hear you." -Meredith Grey Season 5 Episode 24.
The main character of this show has plenty of things to say and I recommend you listen to all of them but this one is the one I would like to highlight. It emphasizes Mark's quote. You are not guaranteed the future so tell people they mean so much to you and have changed your life. You may not get the chance in the future.